Following the announcement of Trump’s new plan for Afghanistan, which is basically the old plan packaged as new with a topping of increased Pakistan-bashing, here is my simple eleven-point agenda for Pakistan to implement in its Afghanistan policy.
- Shut down USAID programmes as well as other US-backed projects involved in subversion operation in Pakistan. Follow up by stopping all kinds of US packages that are given to Pakistani media to push Washington’s policies in the region.
- Shut down NATO supply routes completely and stand by it. Don’t open them even if US/NATO are willing to offer commercial rates.
- Convince Russia and/or China to prepare and introduce sanctions against US Army and NATO individuals involved in war crimes in Afghanistan.
- Officially announce US-India backed Kabul regime as Pakistan’s enemy # 2, only second to India. Follow up with limited sanctions on key individuals of Kabul regime involved in anti-Pakistan terrorism.
- Go on the offensive, covertly and overtly, in Afghanistan against anti-Pakistan terrorist groups and individuals including ISIS-Khorasan Province. Follow up by naming and shaming countries at the UN that are covertly supporting ISIS-Khorasan Province.
- Improve and increase US-focused counter-intelligence in Afghanistan, particularly HUMINT capabilities.
- Announce a parallel pro-Pakistan Afghan government based in Islamabad and get it recognized by as many allied countries as possible.
- Persuade Russia to invade Afghanistan in near future on behalf of Taliban, who are seen as a legit stakeholder in Afghanistan by all parties (including US).
- Refuse any kind of US military aid that would put Pakistan’s interests at stake. In fact, it would be far better to refuse US military aid altogether.
- Officially announce Indian influence and activities in Afghanistan a threat to Pakistan and its national interests. Follow up by making India bleed through a thousand cuts in Afghanistan.
- Lastly, make sure Pakistan gets a good share out of any deal relating to extraction of minerals from Afghanistan. A war without profit is not a war but stupidity.
This is the eleven-point agenda that Pakistan should consider implementing in to protect its national interests in the region.
If US wants to play tango with Pakistan, then it’s time to tango.